G.O.A.'L Birth Family Search (BFS)
Since G.O.A.'L was founded in 1998, the cornerstone of our offered services has been assistance and support with birth family search. The G.O.A.'L Birth Family Search (BFS) Team is run by the BFS mentors, coordinator, and a network of volunteer translators and interpreters.
Birth Family Search Process
The Birth Family Search process varies greatly; there are many different possible outcomes and many different paths to these outcomes. The following steps listed are a general outline of the process, however the process is highly dependent on each individual case. G.O.A.’L is here to help provide you with guidance and support during this entire process. It is advised to begin your search in your adoptive country, and once you have completed steps 1 and 2, it is highly recommended that you come to Korea to complete the other steps. Your options greatly increase while you are physically in Korea because resources are more readily available, and the personal relationship with people will also be a valuable asset in your search and will generally work in your favor.
- Step 1: Make the decision to search
- Step 2: Contact your adoption agency in your adoptive country and request a file review / copies of your file
- Step 3.1: Contact your adoption agency in Korea and request a file review / copies of your file
- Step 3.2: [Private adoption(non-agency)] Collect copies of your file and any available information from your adoptive parents / family
Step 4: Review all information and decide on the next steps. Possible birth family search paths include but are not limited to these options:
Conduct a direct birth family search (adoption agency, G.O.A.'L, police) Visit relevant sites to your birth search, such as address you were found, orphanage, hospital, police station, etc. Utilize Korean media / press
- Step 5: Complete a DNA test (This test is not associated with any other organization's DNA initiatives)
- Step 6: (After confirming a DNA match) Reunion
- Step 7: Post Reunion Services (letter/message translation, interpreters for reunions, etc)
When you have your adoption documents and records for us to review, please e-mail them to the G.O.A.'L Birth Family Search (BFS) Department. Include details of any past search efforts and a brief summary of the information you have in your files. The BFS Team will direct you to G.O.A.'L website where you can make your own account and upload your documents for the Team to review.
G.O.A.'L is a non-profit organization (NPO) and strongly advocates for free assistance and support related to birth family search. Although we do not charge fees for separate services involved in the BFS process, we do ask that you kindly support G.O.A.'L by becoming a paid member to help us continue to provide the adoptee community with our services.
For more information please contact the Birth Family Search Team via email