Korean Language Study Scholarships FAQ


Do you have an updated language study calendar for this year?
The dates & tuition are updated as soon as schedules are released.
Are all courses at the basic, introduction level the same?
No. Each program has their own teaching strategies and may focus on different grammar points initially. Some are known for focusing on speaking more than grammar and vice versa. 
How many levels are there?
Students can graduate from level 6. Some universities offer additional levels. Please check with the university for more information.
Approximate size of class?
This varies according to enrollment in each semester. Typically, classes may have 10 - 15 students in a class. But depending on enrollment it could be more or less.
Are there unique differences between the universities?
Some differences exist in terms of how the classes are offered. For example, at Sogang university, students will have a different teacher for each of the speaking, reading and listening, and writing classes. Other university programs may have two teachers teaching all of the subjects. 

Ewha, Sogang, and Yonsei are all nearby each other. Korea and Kyunghee university are also near each other. 

For those with some background in Korean, Ewha and Sogang have donated complete sets of their textbooks to G.O.A.'L so adoptees can check out the materials in advance. 

After the completion of one course, is it possible to re-apply and receive a scholarship for the following quarter? (i.e. study in the winter and the spring)

Yes, it is actually encouraged that applicants continue to utilize the scholarships as long as they are available and that the adoptee complied with the G.O.A.'L Student Code of Conduct Agreement. Please note that even if you are currently receiving a scholarship, you must reapply for a scholarship the following semester. Also, the 100% scholarship recipients are only eligible to receive it once as there is far more demand for them than we have available.

Do we need to have a visa to get the scholarship? Is a tourist visa ok?
It is possible to enroll in the 10-week intensive Korean language courses on a tourist visa if you are from a country that has visa-exempt status with Korea (able to get 90-day tourist visa), but to get a scholarship from G.O.A.'L you should have the F-4 visa.

G.O.A.'L has been able to get scholarships at universities because they understand our strong connection as adoptees to Korea and they want to help make our return to Korea easier. The F-4 visa has been a requirement when applying for Korean language scholarships through our organization for several reasons. It formally verifies the applicant's status as an adoptee, while also granting additional freedoms to the adoptee while in Korea that a tourist or student visa does not. It also relieves the adoptee of any time pressure constraints should they change their mind and wish to extend their stay in Korea. Many adoptees have come here and found that they didn't give themselves enough time to stay.

Having the F-4 also helps reduce administration for the universities and speeds up the registration process. With a tourist visa, they will need to verify eligibility and if there are any errors, it could delay the registration process resulting in not being able to enroll in a course that semester. 

If I miss the application deadline, can I still apply for a scholarship?
As much as we would like to allow late applicants to take advantage of the scholarship opportunities, we have a strict policy about not accepting late applications. It's not fair to those who made sure to apply on time. Please make sure to check the deadlines and apply during the application period.

Do you have 100% funded scholarships for language study at a university language program?

Unfortunately at this time G.O.A.'L does not administer any 100% language scholarships. However, please contact your adoption agency as they have in the past funded 100% tuition to the following:

HOLT: 이화여대 (Ewha Women's University)
KSS: 연세대  (Yonsei University)
SWS: 경희대 (Kyunghee University)
ESWS: 한림대 (Hallym University)